Question for the mods

Sun, Jun 10 2007 19:07
rbtgt
Posts 220

When editing any post I make I get an "oops, something went wrong" notification page.

However, my posts are getting edited. Can you tell me why this happening? It's a pain in the ass since it forces you to close the browserand reopen it since I don't want to hit the back button from that page and, perhaps, double-post. And there is nowhere you can go from the "oops" page. No links to anywhere else on it.

This isn't an an isolated instance, either, it's happened every time I have ever edited a post.

Tue, Jun 12 2007 14:08
funky2004
Amsterdam
Posts 90,340
Retired Moderator

Join the 'Oops'-club........ Wellcome.

It is a real pain in the ass.  Seems everybody is experiencing it.  It seems to be an unknown bug somewhere in the forum-software.

Sometimes it's gone and the next moment it's back again.

Hopefully our webmaster knows a way to cure it.

Tue, Jun 12 2007 20:55
Hunter27
Classified
Posts 4,142
Retired Moderator
  I admit I’ve looked at this post a couple of times and simply didn’t know what to reply. The oops error doesn’t happen to me often personally. Mainly only when trying to edit posts that have been edited several times previously.

Some users experience certain problems while others have entirely different ones, then there’s those who the forum seems to work perfectly fine. It leads me to believe that there may be individual user settings not available through the administration control panel in this current version of software.

For your individual problem rather than closing your browser or hitting your back arrow just try clicking refresh.

We should be upgrading to the newest version of forum software sometime within a month or so, hopefully this will solve a lot of the problems as well as add some new features.
Tue, Jun 12 2007 22:38
rbtgt
Posts 220
Is is plausible that that individual security settings (meaning on my local computer) might be the reason? This also might explain the variability by user of this issue since there are so may ways to set up your browser security in IE, which is probably what most people are using in this forum.
Tue, Jun 12 2007 22:51
Hunter27
Classified
Posts 4,142
Retired Moderator
  I’ll never understand why people use IE… But there’s a good chance that’s exactly the case. What browser, what OS? It all makes a difference. Question is, how to solve the problems for all browsers on all OS’s. Trust me a lot of people are working on it, and like I said, we should see some changes being made within the next version of CS coming within the next couple months.

Hang tight guy and enjoy what’s here.
Tue, Jun 12 2007 23:02
rbtgt
Posts 220

Cool, it's NOT that big a deal, I was just wondering. I may try one of my other computers and logon to Peachy and see if it makes any difference when editing a post to find out. Since IE security settings are so complicated, I really doubt they are the same on all my computers, frankly. I use IE on all my computers and they are all running XP Professional as well. I don't know or understand the differences between IE and like, say, Firefox, to make any sort of intelligent decision about using one browser over another. Perhaps someone can enlighten me.

Hope I didn't sound like I was REALLY bitchin' about this 'cause I'm not.

Wed, Jun 13 2007 0:33
jch1
Posts 4,583
Retired Moderator
the only time i've ever gotten an "oops" is when editing very large thumb index threads.

seems like maybe time of day and server traffic might be a factor, though. i'm usually here very late in the U.S. which is overnight in europe, when traffic is probably lowest. i know hunter is often on at this time too (don't know if you're on earlier also) so maybe that's why you rarely get the error too? just speculating.

as for IE vs. other browsers the only intelligent decision is other browsers. i swear by firefox. others swear by opera. and we all just swear at IE. it's heavy and not user-friendly and needs constant maintenance. i switched to firefox years ago and never looked back. with that and good firewall, AV, and spyware software i've never had any security problems (knock on wood).
Wed, Jun 13 2007 11:24
funky2004
Amsterdam
Posts 90,340
Retired Moderator

I doubt very much that it's browser-related.  If it were to blame on browsers, then there should be some consistency in the Oops-errors, which isn't the case.  It happens mainly when editing your posts, but also randomly eg. changing forums etc. 

I suspect the hidden javascript in the forums-software is to blame for it.

Sort Posts: