Search facility

Wed, Dec 20 2006 10:03
MetMonk
Posts 330

The search facility that was added recently is good news. But here are 2 suggestions to make it better:

1. Return threads rather than individual postings. Currently a search on a common model name returns dozens and dozens of pages, e.g. "Inna" returns 15 pages, "natasha" returns 36 pages. That number could be drastically reduced if only threads were returned.

2. More sophisticated search criteria. There is no way that I know of to restrict my search to one individual Inna, e.g. Inna C. In google, I can type advanced search criteria such as "Inna C". Not however on Peachyforum.

Hope this helps...

Wed, Dec 20 2006 10:30
funky2004
Amsterdam
Posts 90,340
Retired Moderator
MetMonk:

The search facility that was added recently is good news. But here are 2 suggestions to make it better:

1. Return threads rather than individual postings. Currently a search on a common model name returns dozens and dozens of pages, e.g. "Inna" returns 15 pages, "natasha" returns 36 pages. That number could be drastically reduced if only threads were returned.

2. More sophisticated search criteria. There is no way that I know of to restrict my search to one individual Inna, e.g. Inna C. In google, I can type advanced search criteria such as "Inna C". Not however on Peachyforum.

Hope this helps...

Search producing individual postings are essential b.o. many girls having several aliases/pseudonyms.  By clicking 'show post' you can be put on right track.

Sophisticated search criteria can be used with Peachy search as well.  If you type inna C met-art you get less results but more on-topic.

Alternatively you can use flw. link in a second window.  It has more options such as author, subforum and date-frames

http://peachyforum.com/search/

In short I would say the present Peachy searchtool is pretty good maybe even perfect....

Fri, Dec 22 2006 3:40
mrspock
Posts 1,633
funky2004:

Search producing individual postings are essential b.o. many girls having several aliases/pseudonyms.  By clicking 'show post' you can be put on right track.

It would be nice to group the results by thread and add a "show all" to click. This would also be helpful with tags, many guys add tags to every post, so many threads show up ten times in a result (and there is no 'show post'). I think it's worth a feature request to vendor of community server.

funky2004:

In short I would say the present Peachy searchtool is pretty good maybe even perfect....

True, I thank vatsis for bringing us back the searchtool!

Sat, Dec 23 2006 17:14
Hunter27
Classified
Posts 4,142
Retired Moderator
mrspock:
(and there is no 'show post').

You must be over looking it.

Sun, Dec 24 2006 4:58
Vatsis
cold capital of Finland
Posts 3,384
SystemAdministrator
Some grouping would make it more clear. Currently, the search returns results by post relevancy, for returning only threads it should calculate the thread relevancy by combining post relevancies.

However, since we have so long threads only linking to threads would make finding a single post harder. In addition to that, all results would be different since some thread with word "inna" many times could weight more then a single post with more accurate match... like "blonde inna from met". On the other hand, long threads make the search results very long since all posts are returned...

I did some search on CommunityServer.org and didn't find anyone mentioning about a grouping feature in the future... even it would be most helpful. If I have some spare time, I'll have a look how easy it would be implement on the results page.
Fri, Dec 29 2006 5:09
mrspock
Posts 1,633

Hunter27:
mrspock:
(and there is no 'show post').

You must be over looking it.

In normal search there is a 'show post', but not if you look for tags. As long as there is no grouping feature it might help to remind people above the tags box not to tag every single post. It's already mentioned in the FAQ, but it seems to me that many people don't read FAQs.

Fri, Dec 29 2006 5:18
funky2004
Amsterdam
Posts 90,340
Retired Moderator
mrspock:

As long as there is no grouping feature it might help to remind people above the tags box not to tag every single post. It's already mentioned in the FAQ, but it seems to me that many people don't read FAQs.

Wrong use (or even deliberate abuse) of tags has already created 'chaos' in the whole concept of tags (IMHO).

I'm afraid it already has become rather worthless now.....

Sun, Dec 31 2006 3:29
mrspock
Posts 1,633
funky2004:
mrspock:

As long as there is no grouping feature it might help to remind people above the tags box not to tag every single post. It's already mentioned in the FAQ, but it seems to me that many people don't read FAQs.

Wrong use (or even deliberate abuse) of tags has already created 'chaos' in the whole concept of tags (IMHO).

I'm afraid it already has become rather worthless now.....

That's partially true, many but not all tags are totally messed up. I suggest to place a hint like "Only first/one post of a thread should be tagged!" in red letters above the tags box. This should help a lot, and maybe it's possible to write a script which deletes all tags which are not in first post or aggregate them in first post.

Fri, Jan 5 2007 19:47
MetMonk
Posts 330
funky2004:

That's true as well. I suppose we have 2 usage cases here. What you're saying is, when you type Inez (Femjoy's name for Met's Inna C), you don't want to wade through Inna C's thread, which is 9 pages (180 posts) long. You want the "show post" feature to take you straight to the relevant post within the thread. What I'm saying is, when you type Inna, you don't want to wade through 16 pages (455 posts). You want the threads only. You want Inna C's thread listed once, not 180 times. What would be really nice is to have the choice: return individual postings or threads.

funky2004:

Sophisticated search criteria can be used with Peachy search as well.  If you type inna C met-art you get less results but more on-topic.

Good... yes. Perfect... no.

Example: try searching for one of Met's "minor" Innas, e.g. Inna F. Type inna: you get 455 hits, 16 pages. I'm not going through wade through that, so next I try inna F. Still 455 hits. That's because any post that has the character F in it satisfies the F part of the search criteria. Next try inna F met. Still 395 hits, 14 pages. Next try inna F met-art. This time I get "only" 6 pages (152 hits). Rather than wading through those, I turn to google and type "inna F" site:peachyforum.com. This returns just 3 hits, exactly the ones I'm looking for.

The main thing that google can do and that Peachy's advanced search can't is "match exact phrase". Peachy has "match all words", but not "match exact phrase". As a result, I still use google a lot to search peachy. The main advantage of Peach's native search facility is that, unlike google, it's always 100% up-to-date. There are secondary advantages (e.g. filter by date / author / tag), but in practice I don't use them a lot.

Don't get me wrong. It's great to have a search feature. Keep up the good work.

Sort Posts: