San Diego, California
Posts 3,043
Retired Moderator
Post your computer problems and questions here
Thu, Jun 3 2004 2:33
KS
Posts 6,089
Retired Moderator
Ok, here's a good one I don't think has been covered.

Every has been touting Mozilla FireFox­®, but what are the best and most useful plugins to get with it?
Thu, Jun 3 2004 3:15
Fucktard
San Diego, California
Posts 3,043
Retired Moderator
KS:
Ok, here's a good one I don't think has been covered.

Every has been touting Mozilla FireFox­®, but what are the best and most useful plugins to get with it?

It's the same as with Internet Explorer: whatever apps you use now, you can use with Firefox. The plug-ins that I use are : Macromedia's Flash , Adobe's PDF Reader , Shockwave , Java (I recommend Sun Java) , and QuickTime Player . Just about every app that is available for IE is also compatible with Mozilla and Firefox .

There are also many advanced tweaks to speed up or change the way Firefox browses and responds that I won't go into here . You can also change the width of the Search Bar (which is annoyingly small in the standard config) by adding text to the userchrome.css sheet document .

F~
Thu, Jun 3 2004 4:24
patrickk
Posts 192
But the best feature is, of course, tabbed browsing..
Thu, Jun 3 2004 5:17
Fucktard
San Diego, California
Posts 3,043
Retired Moderator

patrickk:
But the best feature is, of course, tabbed browsing..

Agreed , especially if you're like me and have 50 pages open at the same time . And thats another thing about Firefox , it wont bog down or freeze when multiple pages are open like IE does . They should call it Internet Exploder®. Good point Pat

F~

Sat, Jun 5 2004 5:34
Fucktard
San Diego, California
Posts 3,043
Retired Moderator
Ok , as promised I will outline the programs I currently use on my computer . For many years , I built and tested industrial computers for a company that configures custom systems for major corporations and organizations . These systems were installed and used in extremely high-stress settings including the NASA Space Station , Boeing 777 and Stealth Fighter , helicopters built by Hughes Aircraft , and many jet fighters built by Lockheed and McDonnell Douglas including the F-16 and Harrier . Part of my job responsibility was to test and implement security software into these computers . They were far different programs than those used in home computers , but along the way I got to test and use nearly every program available today . These were very exhaustive and long-term tests , not a simple one or two week trial run-through . Here is what I found to be most effective , after years of testing and comparing :

Sygate Pro® Firewall - This is a comprehensive and very well thought out security program , that in my opinion is the best firewall available today . In all the years I have used the different versions and builds it has never let me down . It is comparatively light on system resources , has an excellent GUI (Graphical User Interface) and is extremely tough to get past for hackers and others that want to enter your computer . It also includes a Backtrace feature and a WhoIs back-scanner so that you can determine exactly who tried to scan your computers ports and when the attack occurred . Overall a great firewall is your best defense . If you have Microsoft XP installed on your computer turn off the built-in firewall . Not only is it basically crap , but if used with another firewall at the same time , it will battle with the other program , effectively rendering both useless .

Command® Antivirus - Command is a custom shell/GUI built around the F-Prot Professional scanning engine . F Prot / F Secure is the same engine preferred by companies that depend on virus programs to secure millions of dollars worth of data every day . Microsoft , The FBI , Boeing , are just a few companies that rely on this anti-virus to guard critical data in their countless servers and storage systems . It is fast , light on resources , very straight-forward , and draws upon the best virus definition database in the industry .

The Cleaner Professional® Trojan Scanner - The Cleaner is perennially a top pick of reviewers on the net , and for good reason . It combines a solid trojan definition database , a sharp and well-designed GUI , and proven effectiveness . It also includes TC Monitor and TC Active which monitor in real-time , everything that attempts to enter or exit your computer , as well as any files that are installed on your hard drive that suspiciously change or *morph* into another form . It compares the characteristics and file content against all of the definitions in it's database and stops the program from loading and/or executing and alerts you .

Tauscan® Trojan Scanner - Much like the Cleaner above , Tauscan provides another layer of defense with it's real-time trojan detection program called Tau Monitor which does much the same as TC Monitor . Tauscan boasts one of the most complete trojan definition databases in the industry . I have found that using 2 trojan scanners is a good idea because one might detect a problem that the other doesn't have included in its definitions .
Stopzilla® Pop-Up Stopper - The absolute king of pop-up stoppers . I think at last count I have tested over 40 different so-called pop-up stoppers , killers , slayers and on and on . Trust me , Stopzilla is far superior to them all . It has an amazing algorithmic processor that stops 99.9% of all pop-ups but lets through everything else . Some products stop websites from acting properly and prevent Java windows and other needed applications from executing , at the same time letting bad windows open at will . Stopzilla will amaze you , I couldn't go online without it .

PerfectDisk® Defragmenter - This is the Rolls Royce of defrag programs . If you are one of those who still uses the built-in defrag in Windows , try this program and be astonished . Not only is it more effective , but it also uses an amazing patented process called *Smart Placement* which analyzes how a file was used in the past , and moves it to a place on the disc where it can execute quickly and reliably . *Smart Placement* mode takes longer to finish , but the results are worth it . Frequent defragmentation will not only keep your computer running faster and smoother , but it will also greatly increase the lifespan of your hard drives . Here is an analogy of what a defrag basically does . Let's say you are doing laundry and it is *whites* day . You have a laundry basket , but your socks are strewn all over your room and you have to walk back and forth to pick up the socks and place them into the basket . If they were all in one neat pile you could scoop them all up and save not only time , but also your legs and arms from getting tired . This is exactly what a defragmenter does with your files . After weeks of use and access they get placed all over the surface of the disc and are not grouped tightly the way they were initially installed , hence the term *fragmented* . Defragmentation puts them all together again , side by side , so that your hard drive can easily and quickly access them .

Win Patrol® An awesome little free program that monitors your start-up entries and alerts you whenever something tries to pin itself to your start menu to execute every time you turn on your computer . You will be surprised how many times a day this happens . Have you ever noticed how your computer takes forever to start-up after awhile and the amount of little icons on your taskbar (by your clock) keeps growing larger and larger ? Get Win Patrol and end that forever . The only items you should have in your start-up menu are those that you actually need . Not Yahoo Messenger , not MSN Messenger , not Weather Bug , etc . All of these can be started as you need them , and saves your computer the strain and time of loading them at start-up . Weather Bug , although cute and fairly useful , is spyware by the way , and should be uninstalled .

OK there you have it , 6 programs that will guard and condition your computer for max performance . With proper use and updating , the above applications will not only make your computer faster and immune to annoying freeze-ups , but you will rarely , if ever , have a major problem again . Hope this helps some of you .

F~
Sat, Jun 5 2004 6:37
old_beginner
Posts 2,366
WoW thats the best i ever seen Fucktard your the best great.

Schnitzel always loves you.

the beginner
Mon, Jun 21 2004 22:27
Fucktard
San Diego, California
Posts 3,043
Retired Moderator
Well , like I thought , this thread is dying in here . That's why I put it in General so people would actually see it . Guess I just wasted my time with this one .

F~
Fri, Jun 25 2004 4:02
KS
Posts 6,089
Retired Moderator
Nah, I appreciate it.

Well , like I thought , this thread is dying in here . That's why I put it in General so people would actually see it . Guess I just wasted my time with this one .

F~
Sun, Aug 1 2004 6:17
Gemini37
United States
Posts 2,808
Retired Moderator
I appreciate it also FT!...I will try them.
Thanks

...Gemini37
Sun, Aug 1 2004 15:53
grimwig
Uk
Posts 451

F~
ill also give it a try thanks m8
Sun, Aug 1 2004 17:11
Fucktard
San Diego, California
Posts 3,043
Retired Moderator
Welcome guys

F~
Tue, Aug 3 2004 9:24
klchr96
Ottawa
Posts 1,845
Retired Moderator
Thx for the help in chat, FT!!!!

K
Thu, Aug 5 2004 1:51
KS
Posts 6,089
Retired Moderator
OK... I got Sygate Personal Firewall like you recommended. It's working great because I've noticed alot more attacks being blocked then my old CrapAfee™.

I'm getting a few "critical" warnings about attacks on RCPSS.EXE

on the net I found this to help block problems

-----
Run REGEDIT

Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\OLE
and look for the string: EnableRemoteConnect, and give it a value of N.
------

But mine was already set to No, I also have a EnableDCOM key set to yes... Should I set this to N?
Thu, Aug 5 2004 2:10
Fucktard
San Diego, California
Posts 3,043
Retired Moderator
Absolutely positively set it to NO . DCOM is a security leak of the highest order and Microshaft™ has been getting flak for it for years and has still never admitted fault in the matter (surpise surprise!). I posted a group of tools on a thread for someone awhile back . Anyways here is a great little tool to auto-close DCOM .

http://grc.com/dcom/

And here is the rest , I recommend getting shoot the messenger , unplug and pray , XPdite , socket lock and running them all .

http://www.grc.com/freepopular.htm

Steve Gibson is the man as you will find out by using his amazing tools for Winblows™

F~
Thu, Aug 5 2004 9:50
grimwig
Uk
Posts 451
Absolutely positively set it to NO . DCOM is a security leak of the highest order and Microshaft™ has been getting flak for it for years and has still never admitted fault in the matter (surpise surprise!). I posted a group of tools on a thread for someone awhile back . Anyways here is a great little tool to auto-close DCOM .

http://grc.com/dcom/

And here is the rest , I recommend getting shoot the messenger , unplug and pray , XPdite , socket lock and running them all .

http://www.grc.com/freepopular.htm

Steve Gibson is the man as you will find out by using his amazing tools for Winblows™

F~

thats one great site
my mcafee firewa;; passes all tests
Tue, Sep 28 2004 21:46
mike_op18
Netherlands
Posts 1,460
thats one great site

please keep this thread alive.
So much info in one place.
Thanks to all especially f~

Mike.
Wed, Sep 29 2004 20:49
Fucktard
San Diego, California
Posts 3,043
Retired Moderator
You're welcome Mike . I moved it back to General (where it should have stayed) so more people will see it and get help . 1300 views since July is just weak . It will get that many in a few weeks here . I will try to check this every day so everyone post any questions or problems you have here and there are a few others that are tech-savvy here so they can help as well . Nothing is more frustrating than a shittily configured computer that lets you down time and time again . There is no reason for it either....every system can be streamlined and optimized with the right info and once you see for yourself what great programs , maintenance , and a little common sense will do for your computer....you will never settle for headaches again .

F~
Thu, Sep 30 2004 0:35
Superevil
Floriduh
Posts 3,472
If you're like me you don't like a bunch of BS in your Windows context menu. If you use Windows Media Player 8 or 9 you'll notice a lot on entries when you right click on an mp3, you'll get a list like:

Open
Open With...
Add To Media Player
Queue It Up
Add To Burnlist

etc

If youd like to get rid of these entries fire up regedit.exe and browse to

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

here you will find where most programs add their shell extensions. If you see something you don't want delete it. BE CAREFULL!!! NEVER DELETE ANYTHING YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT IT IS.

WMP Reg Entries:

-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{CE3FB1D1-02AE-4a5f-A6E9-D9F1B4073E6C}]
-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{F1B9284F-E9DC-4e68-9D7E-42362A59F0FD}]
-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{8DD448E6-C188-4aed-AF92-44956194EB1F}]

Deleting these will remove the entires form your right click menu. AND everytime you click on a movie it'll bring up the Open With Program dialog box. If you go to Folder Options/File Types in explorer you can reset the assocations.

I suck at typing tutorials so gimme time. I mainly specialize in Resource Hacking programs and changing appearences and settings.
Thu, Sep 30 2004 1:51
zapper469
Georgia Coastline
Posts 907
Retired Moderator
F-Man...you convinced me about using firefox..and I love it by the way. My IE is so screwed up with crap I can't even get it to run anymore. Here's my question (and maybe it's a stupid one)...how do I make firefox my default browser???? I've made some changes with the "URL opens with" to firefox but it just switches right back to IE..and I'm using old ass windows 98!

Sort Posts: